Thursday, September 23, 2010

FF101: How to Score (in Fantasy Football)

I thought it would be useful to explain how teams earn points. This way you will be able to watch the games and understand the feeling of anticipation when your QB throws a long pass and the feeling of sadness when it is intercepted.

Leagues differ in scoring. But, here is a basic scoring primer for our league:

Quarterbacks earn...
  1 pt for every 25 years he throws the ball successfully
       (i.e., the RB or WR catches it)
  2 pts for a safety
  4 pts for a passing TD
  0 pts for a rushing TD (the pts go to the RB)
 -2 pts for an interception
 -2 pts when they fumble and lose the ball

Runningbacks earn...
  1 pt for every 10 yrds they rush
  2 pts for a safety
  6 pts for every rushing TD
 -2 pts if they fumble and lose the ball

Wide Receivers and Tight Ends earn...
  1 pt for every 10 yrds the ball travels to them when the catch it
  1 pt for every 10 yrds they run with the ball after they catch it
  2 pts for a safety
  4 pts for every receiving TD
 -2 pts if they fumble and lose the ball

Offense can also earn points by..
   Turning a fumble into a TD (6 pts)
   Turning a punt return into a TD (6 pts)

Kickers earn...
   1 pt for every extra point made after a TD
   3 pts for a field goal that is between 0-39 yards
   4 pts for a field goal that is between 40-49 yards
   5 pts for a field goal that is between 50+ yards
  
Defenses earn...
   10 pts if they allow the opposite team to make 0 pts
    8 pts if they allow the opposite team to make 1-6 pts
    6 pts if they allow the opposite team to make 7-13 pts
    4 pts if they allow the opposite team to make 14-20 pts
    2 pts if they allow the opposite team to make 21-27 pts
    0 pts if they allow the opposite team to make 28-34 pts
  -2 pts if they allow the opposite team to make 35+ pts

    1 pt for a sack
    2 pts for an interception
    6 pts for a TD (rushing or catching)
    2 pts for a safety
    2 pts for a blocked kick


How do I keep track of all of this for my team?

I don't.

The computer does and that is why I am always watching my team's scoring box to see if I have any more points...or if my opponent does:


I am pretty sure that I took a fuzzy picture on purpose. I do not want to be reminded how low my numbers were. 


I forgot to tell you that you get 0 pts in my league if the QB throws to a WR or TE and they do not catch the ball. So, no points for this play:


My DEF did earn 2 pts here for sacking the Buffalo Bills QB:
And yes, it did hurt to earn points this way.

In fact, I experienced what psychologists call "cognitive dissonance" - which is the discomfort you feel when you try to hold to conflicting ideas in your head at once. Like: I am happy my DEF earned 2 pts + I am frustrated my favorite team's QB got sacked.

And, I felt it a little bit here when my RB scored against the Bills. But, after last week, I was mostly happy about having one of My Guys score a TD.

(I just had to throw a psy term in there!)


That is a quick blog about scoring in fantasy football. I will post my line up before the games start.

If you were following the NFL news, you know that I need to send Vincent Jackson back to the waiver wire. Darn it! I thought I was being clever...

No comments:

Post a Comment